The Classic Chanel Flap Bag: Everything you need to know.
It’s hard to picture a more iconic handbag than the classic Chanel Flap Bag! Timeless styling, easily identifiable, and beautiful in any colour and design, it’s the perfect accessory to any outfit. The bag has proven itself to have true staying power, being consistently popular for the last 50 years.
We’ve put together everything you need to know about the bags history and its evolution. If you’re anything like us, when you learn more about it you’ll love it even more.
The bag makes its debut: 1955
The flap bag was not the first Chanel bag on the the market, but it was the first one that revolutionised the fashion industry. Bags previously were carried by hand, the flap bag changed all of this being the first one to have a strap. Carrying your bag on your shoulder quickly became a sign of high-fashion and status.
The Appearance of the Interlocking C’s: 1980
Although it’s hard for us to imagine a Chanel without the signature interlocking C’s, this logo weren’t actually introduced until the 1980’s by Carl Lagerfield. The logo is known as the Mademoiselle Lock in honor of the fact that Coco Chanel never married.
The Classic Leather Woven Straps and Burgundy Interior.
The first Chanel bags featured all chain straps. As the years went on, and resources became scarce, leather filled straps became commonplace. Now the flap bags come with either depending on design. The inspiration for the famous burgundy interior of the flap bags comes directly from Coco Chanel's past; it was the colour of the uniforms in the orphanage where she was raised.
Double Flap vs. Single Flap
The Classic and 2.55 flap bags are both double flaps, meaning they have an exterior flap and an interior flap compartment. Currently, all Chanel flap bags are double flaps, but you can still find single flaps on the resale market.
Famous Public Appearances
It’s not difficult to spot a Chanel Flap Bag on the rich and famous, but here are some of our favourite public appearances;
- Elizabeth Taylor, 1961, wearing the bag with an elegant white suit and hat.
- Brigitte Bardot, 1963 in the film ‘The Adorable Beast’, worn with roller hair set and a sweater.
- Jane Fonda, 1968 in the film ‘La Curee’, worn with a trench coat.
- Princess Diana, 1996, worn with a pale mint green jacket dress.
Style Variations of the Flap Bag.
While once a fairly standard design, now the flap bag comes in nearly every size, colour and design combination you could ever need.
Here are the main style aspects to look out for;
- Size; including extra mini, mini regular, mini square, small, medium, jumbo and maxi.
- Leather and Materials; including lambskin, caviar leather, patent leather, perforated lambskin, jersey, velvet, alligator, python and embellished.
- Colour; The sky is literally the limit when it comes to colour and design choices.
- Hardware and finishes; the interlocking C’s can come in silver, gunmetal, bronze, black and more.
Whatever your preference you can truly make this iconic handbag personal to you.
Shop Chanel Hardware Protectors & Leather Care Now
Leave a comment